No matter how good your links look or appeal to the user’s eye, it has to meet the required qualities to be an effective one. It is not how long or short or how eye catching it appears but the quality of its contents that matters. The link content should easily be picked by the Google algorithm and other search engines to be indexed and ranked. Getting a link from quality content will represent quality link and gives positive effect in terms of SEO to our site. There are a few qualities you should consider in your link for it to be effective.
A good link should reflect the results almost immediately or within a week or two to your website. You can monitor your traffic boosted via direct traffic referred from the page that link your site. Plus, if it is a dofollow link, you can check your site ranking in Google increased slightly to a new level. Whatever site you want to link your website should have similar contents or related to that of yours. Google have constantly pressed relevancy as part of the important factor in ranking. If you create a link to an unrelated website, chances are as good as zero that you will have an effective link. A good link should have a relationship of content with the host you plant your link to. Plus, if you have quality content, it may also attract backlinks as a resources to those who wants to use your contents.
Before starting any link building campaign, always start by compiling a list of keywords to target. Sort your keywords carefully to prevent flushing away money on wrongly targeted keywords. Do not go for high competition keywords where you need to compete with higher authority sites and large pool of scammers. Choose appropriate keyword that can be three to four words in length and have low to moderate competition value to start your campaign. Take into consideration of the number of page results and monthly average search volume to calculate this factor. Keywords are the basic contents of the link that makes search engines pick them according to the surfers’ requirements. Poor keyword choices lead to poor responses of the link. Take your time in selecting right set of keywords before starting your campaign.
Getting quality backlinks is extremely important for any website to survive in online industry. Therefore, you need set a list of requirements to calculate the quality of the page you are about to get link from. Firstly, you can start with relevancy. The content should be relevant to your website to get the full benefits from your backlinks. Let me get a list of points that you need to consider before getting a link from the targeted page or webiste.
2. Domain age
3. Page rank (domain level and page level)
4. Internal page’s page rank (The more internal pages with PR, the better).
5. Low outbound links (<100 external links per page, but I would suggest <50).
6. Anchored Keyword (Get your link with preferred anchored keyword linked).
7. Dofollow (Only dofollow link will help to increase page rank and Google SERP ranking).
8. External Links Quality (Avoid getting link from pages with links to unrelated sites like Gambling, Pharma, adults, etc).
9. Location (Content section delivers highest quality where you link is surrounded by vital keywords)
10. Unique IP (If you want to get 10 links, get it from 10 unique IP instead from same IP).
11. Keywords in Title, Description or Permalink (If you targeted keyword is in one of these three spots, it will be helpful).
12. Keywords in Bold, Italic, Underlined, Strike-through
13. No Disclaimer Policy stating that the webmaster receives any sort of paid links, paid reviews, etc.
14. Social sites (It is good if the site have registered social networking sites like Twitter, Facebook, etc)
A good link should be in both the media and non-media sites. Links set in media sites attract more customers especially from the youth. This will gain you traffic. However, the non-media sites are also important. People use them to gain more information. A good link should not only rely on the famous sites but on every established site. Tapping traffic from Youtube videos, flickr images, social media networks like Twitter, Facebook, Digg, Stumbleupon, etc will be helpful too. There are some directory links still contributes SEO benefits too. So, try to expand your network to gather backlinks from other media channels too. If you don’t get the SEO benefits, you will still attract many direct targeted traffic from these networks.
A good monitoring tools is essential in monitoring our quality link building campaign results. Of course, it is costly to get personalized report from some service providers. But, there are some providers like Google Analytics and Google Webmaster tools still provides detailed report for free to the webmasters. I would strongly suggest using these two tools even though you are using some external report from other service providers.