For new bloggers or webmasters out there, who still don’t have a clue about SEO, you should read the basic of SEO PDF ebook from Google. There are many SEO ebooks available online for free that you can learn from. But, nothing will sound like truer compared to Google’s own words. This simple ebook explains in simple words for both onsite and offsite SEO. This will be an excellent guide for newbies in SEO world. It explains the importance of meta tags that still under consideration from google. For example, meta description are used as snippet in search results to show description of our page or blogpost. Usually, google will automatically generate this snippet but if our declaration is better, then the will use it. Take note that meta keywords are ignored for years by google in ranking system.
Remember to treat each new blog post as a new page and try to provide best details possible. For example you can go with the below list:
1. Meta Title
2. Meta Description
3. Proper Keyword density (2-3% max on targeted keywords or keyphrases)
4. Not lengthy blog post title (5-7 words average)
5. Include ALT declaration on each image used
6. Give dofollow value to all internal pages including tags, categories, related posts, recent post, featured posts, etc.
7. Have Sitemap
8. Build backlinks for the particular post (atniz.com/2009/02/01/test/) from social bookmarks, blog commenting, forum posting, etc instead of concentrating fully on top level domain URL (like atniz.com)
Above are the basic SEO steps that all new bloggers can start with. Remember, to use Google Webmaster and Digitalpoint Forum to check on any SEO question that you might have. You will get tons of good idea on any new implementation or steps to further improve your SEO points for your blog from these forums.